Animal Justice is national animal law advocacy organization that leads the legal fight for animal protection in Canada. Our lawyers work to pass strong new animal protection legislation at all levels of government, enforce the laws already on the books, and fight for animals in courtrooms across the country.
We seek an experienced and enthusiastic communicator to support our campaign and fundraising goals. The ideal candidate will be comfortable developing and implementing digital communications and fundraising strategies, with experience in animal advocacy and the flexibility to adapt quickly to diverse responsibilities.
Animal Justice is a small but quickly-growing organization with a passionate team, and we are looking for someone who can grow with us.
Position type: Four-month full-time contract position (40 hours/week) with the possibility of becoming a full-time, permanent position.
Reports to: Executive Director.
Location: Toronto or Ottawa preferred, other locations possible as the successful candidate will work from a virtual office.
Salary: Depends on experience.
- Assist in the development and implementation of communication strategy
- Build clear messages and compelling narratives that work across platforms
- Oversee the creation of written, visual, and video content for Animal Justice’s website, blog, and social media platforms, ensuring cross-platform consistency
- Assist in the redesign of Animal Justice’s website
- Write 3-5 blog posts per week
- Track analytics and set goals for impressions and followers
- Assist the executive director and other team members with special communications projects
- Work with the executive director and the board to develop and implement a comprehensive and integrated fundraising strategy
- Oversee the creation, design, and distribution of emails to supporters in accordance with the supporter communication and fundraising calendar
- Manage supporter database software, including data management and tracking fundraising and advocacy analytics
- Assist in the planning and execution of special events, including fundraisers, parties, and conferences
- Write, distribute, and post media releases
- Monitor local, national, and international media for news stories relating to Animal Justice’s mission
- Stay on top of the latest trends in digital communication, social media, and fundraising
- Travel as necessary to assist with campaigns, events, and attend conferences
- Manage volunteers and contractors
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Relevant degree with a preferred focus on communications, public relations, or fundraising
- Work experience in a relevant field, preferably in the animal advocacy context
- Thorough knowledge of animal rights issues and Animal Justice campaigns
- Thorough knowledge of or willing to learn about legal approaches to animal advocacy
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and experience creating and editing compelling content
- A proven track record in effective communications planning, strategy, and implementation
- Strong organizational and project management skills, self-motivation, and the ability to multitask and meet quick deadlines
- Proficiency with software and social media platforms, including Microsoft Office products, Facebook, and Twitter
- Familiarity with WordPress website publishing platform, Google Analytics, SEO techniques, and keyword optimization
- Basic graphic design and html skills desirable
- Knowledge of CRM database/email management systems, preferably MailChimp and Engaging Networks
- Knowledge of fundraising techniques, including donor relations and stewardship, email fundraising, and online fundraising
- An understanding of fundraising for advocacy causes, including the relationship between advocacy campaigns and fundraising
- Knowledge of fundraising data analysis
- Commitment to Animal Justice’s philosophy and mission
- Ability to communicate in French is desirable
- Ability to work in Canada is essential
Applications should include a resume and cover letter (in PDF format only) explaining why the position interests you and how your experience and skills make you an ideal candidate. Email your application to [email protected] by February 3, 2017 with “Job 101” as the subject line. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.